Matts gave the following advice in one of his videos. I found them very useful and decided to share them with you guys.
- Create unique & excellent contents that attract links
- Be controversial. You may criticize a company or a popular person - but don’t do this often and be careful.
- Participate in Community Sites. This includes relevant blogs, forums, Answers sites, social networking sites like Google Plus, etc. Add value and do not spam. People you help in the community can check out your site and link to content they find interesting.
- Write about original research you made in your niche.
- Build a list of RSS or email subscribers.
- Engage actively in social media.
- Write lists type articles such as “50 ways to …”, but don't overdo it.
- Write “How to” articles. Even if you don’t get links with these, you can still get some traffic.
- Write specific tutorials that are helpful. Target long tail keywords.
- Run a service that people find useful or make a product and release it for free. It may be a browser plugins, wordpress plugins, open source etc. [My 2 cents: Some one can create the product for you, you just have to come up with the idea]
- Make sure your site has good architecture (Website Silo Architecture). Make it crawlable, easy to bookmark and navigate. Make it easy to link to individual pages in your site.
- Create videos because people enjoy it.
Here the video: