By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

How to master a programming language?

F

fancy

It is clear everyone knows that in order to learn a language, you can simply buy a book, read it, follow the examples, and if possible try the exercises. I have come across many books that indicate that I should read and interpret their content…done this more than once but I haven’t understood how to master such languages. Is anyone here with some useful ideas on ways to master programming languages?

S

SarahRTW

I would say the best way is to learn by doing. However, that's just me. Everyone has their own way of learning. One site to try (its free) is Codeacademy.com. It walks you thought excercise and teaches the basics of many popular languages. If you get stuck, there are forums to asking for help from other students etc.

The think with programing is its very picky. A dot in the wrong place or mistyped character can mess up the entire script. So, don't give up. Start with simple languages like HTML or CSS then work your way up

TheDerpMan

TheDerpMan

Practise a lot. Sure you can get the basic idea by reading, but you won't understand why it happens until you practise. The general rule would be to look up some programming challenges for the language you are trying to learn and then try to complete those challenges.

F

fancy

Awesome folks!!! I see each one here desires to help… but am still in darkness. In particular, how long can I take to master these languages? Is experience really a factor to consider? Which are the best languages to start with to ensure I can have better performance? And if possible who knows of various tips in which I can easily catch up with such languages?

danealegana

danealegana

You must have a great motivation and passion to learn something on your own especially mastering any programming language. Practicing everyday makes you even more knowledgeable about it since you are experiencing first hand the errors and mistakes you commit which motivates you to be even better.

S

SarahRTW

How long it takes depends on a range of factors,
1. How much time you put into your learning
2. How difficult the language your learning is
3. Your personal aptitude for this kind of subject
4. The level of proficiency for which you are aiming.

If you can only put one hour a day into learning, and are studying a difficult language such as Java, it will take much longer than if you are trying to learn HTML or CSS - even more advanced functions of these languages.

Darth-Apple

Darth-Apple

How long it takes to "master" a language depends on many factors. Really, there is no short answer to that question. You can be very good at a programming language and still have a lot to learn, so how you define mastery also comes into play.

I don't consider myself a master, but I do quite a bit of PHP, CSS, and HTML programming, and I learned just by doing more than anything else. I'm not the kind of guy with a lot of spare cash sitting around, so paying for an $80 textbook isn't an option. I've heard codeacademy.com is a really great resource for beginning programmers, and many have had a lot of success with it. If you already have some programming experience, I'd recommend just diving straight in and using a reference as a guide. I personally used w3schools' reference material to help me learn PHP, and within a day I knew the basics of the language.

In any case, whether you choose to follow tutorials, buy a large manual for the programming language, or simply use online reference material, the best way to learn is just to program. You'll be surprised at how fast you learn when you give yourself the confidence to take on big projects. :D

S

semaphore.v

Start with basics and learn tutorials.Also use w3schools.com which is best site to learn about programming.

SimplySidy

SimplySidy

May I ask which languages are we discussing?

If these are normal application (software) developing languages like Visual Basic, Java etc, I think the best is to find out similar applications and do them on your own. Say for instance, start developing a small application to manage simple things like - accounts of your daily expenses, then move on to a little bigger ones like Library of a College (keep it as simple as you can to start with and then after completion you can keep adding onto it).

If these are web based languages - maybe like HTML, CSS, PHP, ASP.NET etc, you should open up any website and try to re-build it on your own without looking at the codes of that page.

The more you practice the better you get.

M

mikelouis

It is all about doing more exercises. You have to be consistent in doing the programming language not suing it today and then come back months later. You need to be consistent with your practice.

RjMaan

RjMaan

I think practicing on daily basis will make people some one to be master on programming language. It is not difficult to master on any thing.

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: