By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

Question local seo site structure links help

I

ianhaney

Established Memeber
I am changing the site structure of my local seo pages so currently I have website.co.uk/computer-repair-basildon but am going to change it to website.co.uk/basildon/computer-repair as have read that it is better for local SEO but am stuck on the links. The computer-repair page is in the root of the site and it loads if visit website.co.uk/computer-repair but how do I get the url to display as website.co.uk/basildon/computer-repair. Do I need to add something in the htaccess file or do I add a folder on the server called basildon and then put computer-repair page inside that folder but would it confuse the site as I have a page called basildon as well

I will also be adding other towns as well as having basildon so the structure would be town1/computer-repair and town2/computer-repair

So each town will have different service pages as well

Can anyone help please?

Elyman

Elyman

Hello Ian,
It looks like you may have already made this change.
Did you add a directory?
With taking a look I found it interesting, whatever your name structure, that you are listed as No 1 on Page 1! I'm not sure you can do better than that ;-)
In terms of file structure there is a benefit in catagorising your content, particularly on a very large site because it helps Google to index and move through the site more logically. That said, on your site you appear to have a mass of relevant content which I suspect is effective in getting you a high SERPS status.
Good Job!
Regards
Neil

Ps. As an aside, I initially checked your site on a tablet and it didn't render to well. I just wondered if you have been checking the site's appearance on all devices.
N

I

ianhaney

Established Memeber
Hi

I did go with a directory structure so for example I created a folder on the server called basildon and then added service pages inside that directory and am going to do the same for other towns as well but making sure each service is unique content.

I need to check the site on mobile and tablet view as think when had a quick look on mobile view some parts were not that good so need to check that as well as on tablet view. Just out of interest what resolution is your tablet so can have a look as will be using firefox inspect element responsive design mode as don't have a tablet

Elyman

Elyman

768 x 1024
Local SEO
Yes, whatever you do for other locations has to be new content and looking at your result for Basildon you will do well wherever you focus on. It only becomes more complicated where there is strong, active competition.
Neil

I

ianhaney

Established Memeber
Thank you appreciate your time and help on this appreciate it

Take care and stay safe

I

ianhaney

Established Memeber
768 x 1024
Local SEO
Yes, whatever you do for other locations has to be new content and looking at your result for Basildon you will do well wherever you focus on. It only becomes more complicated where there is strong, active competition.
Neil

I have amended the site for mobile and tablet view, would it be ok to have a quick look again please on your table just to see if I have missed anything

Elyman

Elyman

Hello Ian,
Still the same. I'm on an older iPad. I've taken a screenshot but I can't see how to attach the image.
Just checked on my wife's newer iPad and screen is just like mine.
Neil

I

ianhaney

Established Memeber
Hi

Ahh ok you able to email it to me? Wonder if the cache needs to be cleared as I did check it on a 768px width and looked ok when looked in firefox using inspect element responsive mode

Elyman

Elyman

Hello Ian,
It all works.
It's just that on our iPads it opens with the navigation drop down open and so fills the screen which it doesn't do on either a laptop or PC.
On the iPad, with the screen filled with navigation options, the only way to see the page you select is to scroll down. Otherwise nothing appears to happen.
I can't emphasise enough that it all works. It's just that opening screen on an iPad. (I haven't checked it on a mobile phone.)
Regards
Neil

I

ianhaney

Established Memeber
Hi

Ahh ok, I'll see if I can take a look at that and sort the issue with the drop down being open and filling the screen and just make it closed instead of open on ipad resolution

I have checked it on my phone and looks fine on there, main thing is that it all works and just need to sort the menu issue out

What browser does your ipad use, is it safari? only so I can look on there and see what it's doing as wondering if it's a browser issue as know some browsers look or render differently to others

Thank you for looking, really appreciate it

I

ianhaney

Established Memeber
Hello Ian,
It all works.
It's just that on our iPads it opens with the navigation drop down open and so fills the screen which it doesn't do on either a laptop or PC.
On the iPad, with the screen filled with navigation options, the only way to see the page you select is to scroll down. Otherwise nothing appears to happen.
I can't emphasise enough that it all works. It's just that opening screen on an iPad. (I haven't checked it on a mobile phone.)
Regards
Neil

Hi, sorry just seeing if your able to have a quick look again as have altered some code as I noticed the error when the ipad view is rotated from portrait view (this view looks ok in 768x1024px) to landscape view where the resolution becomes 1024x768 so hopefully with the code alteration, it is ok now if you can quickly check it please

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: