By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

nofollow external links

I

ianhaney

Hi

From what I have been reading, external links should be nofollow. I have external links to my listings on business directories such as yell.com etc. are nofollow links default or do I need to add rel="nofollow" to my external links to the yell.com and business directory sites?

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
Nofollow attributes added by other sites linking to yours isn't something you can control, nofollow is added by the website in question and not something 3rd party can control. You can control links on your own sites, but not others.

I

ianhaney

Sorry yeah know it's something I can't control on other sites but is it worth putting the nofollow tag on external links on my site?

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
There is no real reason to unless the links you are placing on your site are advertisements, or you are allowing user generated content such as blog comments , forum posts etc.

What is your situation with external links which makes you believe it would be a good idea ?

I

ianhaney

Not sure to be honest, I just thought as they are external links to my listing on directory sites like yell.com etc. would I need a nofollow tag on the a href links on my site to the listings on the directory sites?

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
Just looked at your site, they are in the footer and therefore sitewide. To be honest I wouldnt link to them at all apart from the ones that add value to your users ( I.e if you are showing users your good reviews on a certain citation ).

I

ianhaney

Oh right ok

I thought they would add value to my users as they are on business directories like yell.com which thought would be good for users to see?

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
Your social channels such as facebook, Google business reviews and maybe the odd one to yelp or yell if there are reviews on there to view can be helpful. But adding directory listings in general to sitewide positions on your site adds nothing really, especially to the lesser directories.

I

ianhaney

Ahh ok so if I keep the more important ones like the social media and the yell or yelp, think there are reviews on the yell one but not yelp so I could remove the yelp one

webxerossolutions

webxerossolutions

Hi

From what I have been reading, external links should be nofollow. I have external links to my listings on business directories such as yell.com etc. are nofollow links default or do I need to add rel="nofollow" to my external links to the yell.com and business directory sites?
By default every link is dofollow. you have to edit links manually to make them nofollow links.

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: