By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

Redoing a website with similar domain name but new hosting.

J

Jake

I have a current website characterfarmcottages.co.uk which was made using Serif Software and is now rather dated. I have completely redone the website (using some of the original copy) using WP and different hosting under the name characterfarmcottages.net which I hope to launch in the next few days. What should I do with the old site - I am happy to simply use a redirect - however should I remove the old site completely and if so how?? I am aware that google would probably look at them as two independent sites and obviously note copied content. Basically I would like to tell google to ignore the old site and let them know I have redone it as a new one under a slightly different name!!

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
Established Memeber
Hi Jake,

Do you have access to the original .co.uk domain name with full control over redirection or ability to move it to a new host

Best practice would be

• Delete old site, Move the Wordpress website to the original .co.uk domain when ready to go live.
  • Make the new wordpress site HTTPS straight away, this will be even more important as of July 2018 so while you are making a big change, its best to do this at the same time.
  • Make appropreiate redirects from old URL's to new URL's
  • Once the new wordpress site is hosted on the old domain, 301 Redirect the .net domain to the .co.uk.

The reason I suggest this is for a number of different reasons.

1. Your .co.uk domain has history and authority, where possible you should strive to keep that as a primary.
  2. Your target market is the UK, naturally a UK tld domain name will convert better than a .net and is proven as a trust signal to your visitors.

J

Jake

Thanks for that - I do still have control of both sites - the old one is hosted by Easily the new one Siteground. I don't suppose you have any good links etc to changing to https and shifting a WP site to new host???

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
Established Memeber
Hi Jake,

HTTPs will depend on if your host gives you free SSL certificates or whether you need to buy them ( Normally around £10 a year if they are not free with your host ).

Here is a good guide on how to move wordpress to a new host/server. If you get stuck or need something checked feel free to post back here and ill try and help.

J

Jake

Many thanks for your advise - last question (for the time being anyway!) - would it be easy to transfer my co.uk domain name to Siteground (where I have my new WP site) and then get them to change over the .net site to newly transferred in .co.uk site??? I appreciate this may well be a bit more timely???

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
Established Memeber
Providing you are the owner of the .co.uk. You can indeed transfer the .co.uk from one registrar to another. You may need to do a registrar transfer to your new host, which may require you to login to your Nominet account to do so at a charge of £12. Your new host will be able to tell you their process for transferring .co.uk domains to them.

Your .co.uk is currently registered to a Colin : https://www.whois.com/whois/characterfarmcottages.co.uk

If the email address on the domain registration is an email address you have access to, you can sign up to Nominet below which gives you full control over the domain :

https://secure.nominet.org.uk/auth/...l;jsessionid=DEF4C9E5DDB8457CCD17C3613103447E

You can then change the IPS tag to your new hosts tag ( of which they will provide you with ) and complete the transfer with their guidance. Bear in mind however once you change the tag, all emails, hosting etc on the current site may not work until you have them setup on the new host.

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: