By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

Keywords - local or national

V

Vikingr

Hi

I run a small business with few competitors which is based in a small town. I'd like to make the most of resources by driving decent traffic to my website. I have optimised my website for SEO and am dipping a toe into the water of Google Ads.

My question is this. Is it best to use the keywords people search on to find my, and my competitors' businesses locally or to use keywords that people use generally (nationally) to search for my kind of business?

Obviously, the difference is that national keywords provide a higher level of estimated clicks, but the drastically lower level of visitors are much more likely to be in a position to convert. So quantity vs quality I guess. I've almost answered my own question, but there's a nagging doubt.

Hope someone can advise.

Many thanks.

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
Established Memeber
Good content should allow you to target both national and local with a focus on branded and localised outreach. Focusing hyper local on a new site allows you entries into a more generic national search critera and gives you that slow growth to build your brand and reputation.

I saw in another post however you've said you've built your site on WIX, you might want to reconsider that if you are serious about competing, especially if your competitors who are already established are on better, more flexible CMS's

V

Vikingr

Very pleased with Wix, which came highly recommended. Competitors haven't much to touch it. I'm still not sure whether you're recommending local or national search keywords. Just to be clear, I only offer my service in the immediate locality, so that's where I need to focus. Many thanks for your help.

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: