By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

Redirects and SEO

D

danhanton12

Hi there,

I'm just wondering how far redirects can impact SEO performance. I'm redirecting my 'shop' page to a single product page as my site only has one product. If I have all of the relevant content on the single product page along with tags etc...will it harm my SEO to have this redirect in place? There is nothing on the actual 'shop' page, it's completely blank.

Subhodip

Subhodip

Established Memeber
The proper redirection will not hamper your SEO performance. In SEO, Redirect means you are informing your visitor, or web crawler that their requesting pages are not available. You should know first what type of redirection you have to use for your website. That’s it.

robertmiler

robertmiler

Hey!
Redirects are not bad for SEO, but — as with so many things — only if you put them in place correctly. A bad implementation might cause all kinds of trouble, from loss of PageRank to loss of traffic. Redirecting pages is a must if you make any changes to your URLs.

B

bracknelson

Established Memeber
If you use a 301 redirect to redirect one page to another, there is some loss of PageRank along the way. How much? That’s questionable, but 15% is the general assumption. This is also said by Matt Cutts, Google’s former Head of Webspam.

Alexhales33

Alexhales33

All things considered, it depends, yet by and large, no. Sidetracks are not awful for SEO, but rather — as with endless things — just on the off chance that you set up them accurately. An awful usage may raise a wide range of ruckus, from loss of PageRank to loss of traffic. Diverting pages is an absolute necessity in the event that you roll out any improvements to your URLs

alexson

alexson

Established Memeber
Google search engine does not give redirect such priority. do not redirect your site as for as possible. Although it does not have some disadvantages but it affects the ranking of your site.

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: