By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

would you sell?

M

MoBowen

I started a site around 6 years ago. About 3 years ago (when the economy started to really tank in my household) I decided to sell it. I put it up on Flippa and sold it for a cool $30K.

The site had actually started declining in profits, which is the main reason why I decided to sell it. I thought I had gotten all I could out of it. I even put up the profits for the previous 12 months, so it was obvious that the site was losing steam.

The new owner took over and he revved it back up again. I don't know if he made the money back. But a year later he came back to me wanting to buy another one of my smaller sites. So I can only assume that he was doing well.

Nowadays I always think of the selling potential of a site before I start it. It's good to have a few web properties on hand that you can get rid of in an emergency. I would've never guessed my little site would have been worth that much money!

MorgUK

MorgUK

Didn't know about Flippa, pretty cool site! Bookmarked it for potential future use! That's awesome you made $30k from your site!

Trista

Trista

I view it like this. Why would I sell it, when I could outsource it and still continue to make money from it? If however I had a website that was earning me some good money, and I wanted to pursue another niche or product, I would then sell it to help kickoff my new business.

Yes, great strategy!

That is something I would consider doing, too. With niche blogging, this can be an especially good strategy to generate passive income. Hire top-notch content writers and perhaps someone to handle social media and other such marketing and keep the site going. Then later on, perhaps sell it. It might fetch a higher price at that point, as the domain will have aged more, and there will be much content from a variety of writers.

But I think what must be taken into consideration is the ongoing income. Once you have sold a site for a lump sum, how long will that last? What kind of income -- aside from that profit -- do you have?

Of course if you make a small fortune off the site(s) and/or business, that would be the ideal!

Didn't know about Flippa, pretty cool site! Bookmarked it for potential future use! That's awesome you made $30k from your site!

Yes, Flippa is also a great resource for researching the kinds of sites that sell and for how much they are selling. I find it quite helpful. I've never sold any of my sites, but I have considered it.

bauss

bauss

It depends on the business. My poker forum I'd never sell, never. But if it was a business that I wasn't passionate about, and I created it just to make money, then I'd sell for the right price. My poker forum is worth more then money to me, too much potential for you to understand.

Nobody knows what I've got planned, but me.

danealegana

danealegana

It depends on the business. My poker forum I'd never sell, never. But if it was a business that I wasn't passionate about, and I created it just to make money, then I'd sell for the right price. My poker forum is worth more then money to me, too much potential for you to understand.

Nobody knows what I've got planned, but me.
Yeah, youre right sometimes your passion and love for something you held dear could not be priced. I my self had my very inactive music blog that caters to nu metal but I cant seem to ditch it seems its my most liked music genre. Its not giving me a decent amount of earnings but through it I still get in touch with a few nu metal junkies in the world.

thenextGeek

thenextGeek

It depends on the circumstances at hand. If I'm living comfortably then it'll make no sense for me to sell my business which gives me money month after month. Why would you sell a reliable source of passive income if you don't need instant cash anyways?

On the other hand, if there's some kind of emergency that suddenly happened then I might think of selling my online business. That's if there's absolutely no other way for me to acquire fast cash. Selling my online business would be the very last thing that I would do and I'll try all possible ways first before I sell my business.

EthanR

EthanR

If you really want to increase your sales in business then go for Digital marketing agency that would help you to grow your business.

Peter Hogan

Peter Hogan

Yes, I'd sell it if the conditions warranted it. You could always start another similar business providing there isn't a non-compete clause in the contract.

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: