By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

Do you use Classified sites for Internet marketing

N

Nixon Marcion

I use classified sites sometimes because it doesn't cost anything and it can generate some traffic but not as much as paid marketing. But it is a tool you can consider when starting off to market your website.

Nymph

Nymph

That is a very good question. While some classified sites such as Craigslist may highly frown upon people who market websites using a sort of "pre-sell" advertisement on its platform, there are some less known sites who are desperate for an audience as well as advertisers who will, to be blunt, bend over backwards for websites and programs that spout the usual "work at home" this, that, and the next, because they know how profitable the classifieds model can be.

I use them on occasion as an easy way to harvest organic backlinks. They are also extremely good to use if you are promoting a product or service with the website you are advertising. One thing I like to do is suggest interested users to email me so that, one, I grow my list, and, two, they are much easier to sell to as a personal connection is being founded. Some are ethical and legitimate opportunities, products, and services, while others are not, and people are getting more keen at discerning what seems to be a scam and what doesn't, so my advice would be to try and stand out as much away from that crowd as possible in your ad. It does work wonders with the right amount of patience.

RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMama

I used to use Craig's List sometimes when I was into affiliate marketing. I didn't list the initial product on there, but just created an ad in order to spark the consumer's interest, and gave them contact information in the ad in case they decided to follow through. My friend had a lot more success in it than I did, I just wasn't that committed at the time to affiliate marketing.

davidj212

davidj212

When I had first attempted affiliate marketing a couple of months ago, the classified site that I used was Craigslist. I used Craigslist, because I knew that it's one of the most popular classifieds on the internet. I cant really complain about it not working, because even though I did not make any sales, I did aquire quite a few leads that I could have made into a good marketing list. I think if your product or service is good enogh, it could be a good route to take.

jean

jean

I have used both local offline newspapers classified ads, as well as online classified sites to get sales. I wanted to highlight the local classified sites (in newspapers), because those advertisements have given me many more sales than online classified sites. Just remember that local newspapers can bring you those additional customers and incomes. One tends to forget the importance of local newspapers when online classified sites like CL are discussed all the time.

S

smoothmarketer

I have used both local offline newspapers classified ads, as well as online classified sites to get sales. I wanted to highlight the local classified sites (in newspapers), because those advertisements have given me many more sales than online classified sites. Just remember that local newspapers can bring you those additional customers and incomes. One tends to forget the importance of local newspapers when online classified sites like CL are discussed all the time.
Very true jean, the local newspaper ads are very effective particularly in places where internet access is not well established. Your ad in the local paper is viewed by more people than just the buyer, and it is an easy reference for people. Some people tend to trust what they read in the papers more than what they see on the internet. So using both online and offline classifieds gives you a much wider reach than sticking to one method.

sam

sam

Never used classified sites before, but will have to look into them. Anything that can drive some traffic is worth taking a look at, I think.

@ RomanAnthonysMama - What kind of success did your friend have with Craiglist? Did it bring in some decent traffic for him?

Also, a question for everyone: What other sites did you use for classified ads, besides Craiglist?

Raivyn

Raivyn

I've been tempted to try out Craigslist but I wasn't sure it would be worth the hassle of potentially getting posts marked as spam because people have nothing better to do. I guess it's worth a shot.

Murray

Murray

Let us know how it goes Raivyn. I've been wondering if CL is worth a shot as well. I have a couple of blogs that are developing and have so little content on them right now that I can't even get Ad sense yet. Its really time consuming to get these little things up and running and none the less making a profit. If there is some success when it comes to CL then I'll be tempted to try it out.

Also, what are some products that have worked well on CL for Affiliate Marketers? That might be a bigger question than anything else. You could sit here with a trash bag and sell a thousand to a trash guy, but have a back scratcher that draws no interest at all until you put it out to a bunch of people with itchy backs. The right product at the right time!

D

DMang17

I have tried to use classified sites for internet marketing and it has never really worked all that well. Ive tried craigslist and mostly my post would be flagged for spam. Ive found other sites alot more effective for affiliate marketing.

V

vash

I have never used classified to list/sell anything, but I have bought something from there. Although I paid attention to the reputation of that forum member first to make sure I would get a good honest deal. It went well and I was pleased with it.

I would hesitate to list my web sites in such way though because it would be like asking for hackers and spammers in some cases. Maybe I am paranoid, but from the look of it most of the successful webmasters do not broadcast their web sites.

On the other hand, affiliation marketing might work... just my guess since I have never tried it myself.

Viktori

Viktori

I use the classifieds all the time, even if I'm not promoting my site. It's great for selling stuff and announcing anything, so I use it pretty much for anything, and yes, especially for sharing my site. It's not effective unless you really have something people would really want, though.

OhioTom76

OhioTom76

I might consider using them to find people to do some temporary work for me, such as writing content. But I don't bother with them as some means of trying to build backlinks to my sites. None of my sites are of a niche that would even make sense to post on classified sites, plus I'm worried about it making my sites look cheap and not reputable.

P

penny101

I've tried classified ads to sell in the past and my results were pretty mixed, l had a clickbank account at the time and l was selling a photography course, l did manage to make three sales from classified ads. If you target all the classified ad sites it can be very time consuming and some classified ads only last seven to two weeks.

BigJ

BigJ

I've used Classifieds for affiliate promotion and will be using them a lot more for all future endeavors. I have yet to have what I consider great success given how targeted classifieds can be but hopefully it all improves with time.

S

sidheshp

Yes classified sites are basically used for doing advertisement of your business and spread awareness about of your business to people and it will help you to reach those people who already looking for your kind of business, product/services on that site ,also it will help you to generate leads, it generates traffic toward your site,

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: