By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

ecommerce site: Category naming

D

Donhinio

Hello,

When it comes to category naming on an ecommerce website, how important is including keywords in the name?

Say, purely as an example, I am running an Elvis ecommerce site (selling one-off used items), what difference would naming my categories be from:
> Elvis Artwork (example url: elvisshoppingsite.co/elvis-artwork/picture)
> Elvis Clothing
> Elvis Records
> Elvis Tours Memorabilia

compared to:
> Artwork (example url: elvisshoppingsite.co/artwork/picture)
> Clothing
> Records
> Tours Memorabilia

From a user perspective, they already know they are on an Elvis website so the Elvis pre-fix does not provide the optimal experience, but does it add value from an SEO perspective?

Many thanks for any advice!

Jennifer Neon

Jennifer Neon

Established Memeber
Hi, @Donhinio
I hope you're doing. Coming to your query, I guess naming your categories as Elvis Artwork, or only Artwork will have no effect on the ranking.

In fact, if your users want to buy artwork from your store, they will make use of the navigational keyword "Elvis artwork" in the search bar and they'll end up on your site.

EarlGrey

EarlGrey

Donhinio,

The best eCommerce website structure:
  1. Helps the user know where they are
  2. Helps Google understand the content
The following URL addresses both these points:

elvisshoppingsite.co/elvis-artwork/johnny-cash-and-elvis-framed-picture

This URL would help the user know they are:
  1. On an Elvis shopping website
  2. On an Elvis artwork category page
  3. On an Elvis and Johnny Cash picture product page
This URL is also clear for Google to understand.

Additionally, for a "Johnny Cash and Elvis framed picture" you could create a Tag page called /tags/johnny-cash/ and you would likely see additional ranking for people searching for pictures of Elvis and Johnny Cash together.

I hope that helps your website rank.

Earl Grey

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: