By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

Link exchange for link building?

• Thread starter House of Silver
  • Start date
House of Silver

House of Silver

Are reciprocal links from websites in you niche good idea for SEO and ranking in general?

Last edited:
Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky

Established Memeber
I think this is a tricky one as reciprocal linking for the sake of SEO could be viewed by Google as attempting to manipulate for SEO purposes. If they are relevant text links then are more likely be useful for users and hence be viewed more favourably by Google as opposed to just site for site reciprocal links on a links list page.

It's something I have been thinking about as I run a forum and sometimes people will put a link to their site in a post. So we might say, a reciprocal link would be appreciated, but then we need to request that we would like the link to be in some relevant text, which is not always so easy as some people won't be bothered, just shove a link on a "links" page and be done with it.

But then as our forum outgoing links are nofollow, perhaps it is a bit moot anyway.

House of Silver

House of Silver

Thanks for the answer. Here's one more question: I have two separate websites. Would it be ok if I link to third party website from one of my sites and ask them to link back to my other site? Something like following: my site 1 --> third party site --> My site 2.
In this case these would be no reciprocal links and I wonder if search engines could detect this?

Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky

Established Memeber
In this case these would be no reciprocal links and I wonder if search engines could detect this?

This is an interesting question, it's something I sometimes use. as I have two main sites. Google is perfectly capable of knowing you own both sites if they are on the same server and/or if you have them both on the same Analytics or Console account.

I wish I had a definitive answer as I'd also like to know whether it could be an issue.

Either way, relevant in content text links are best of course.

House of Silver

House of Silver

Very good point reg google analytics, I haven't thought about that. It's certainly something to investigate further. Thanks.

Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky

Established Memeber
Receiprocal Link won't help you in long way. Google always determines about the reciprocal links and your website would be penalised for the same. So I would recommend not to do that.

Can't find it now but I remember a Matt Cutts video where he was saying there are cases where reciprocal linking is natural, e.g. within appropriate text. But that Google can detect reciprocal links that are purely "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours"

So if the links are useful and relevant for users that's one thing, if they are pure SEO that is another.

NoahOwen

NoahOwen

Hey Guys,

Thank you for sharing valuable information about the link exchange . Link exchange form directory sites is not good.

Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky

Established Memeber
No, ideally you want links within relevant well written text.

But other links from well established and important sites will be good also, government institutions, academic sites etc.

deniel

deniel

Hello @House of Silver, It would seem then that reciprocal links are a common byproduct of the web, so you probably shouldn’t be afraid to link to sites already linking to you. The same applies when asking for links from sites to which you already link.Hope it will clear your doubt but if you have any query than please do comment. i will surely help you

Paro

Paro

• Ask for backlinks. This is a good way to start, especially if you are a beginner in this job. ...
  • Build relationships. For good link building, you need to build good relationships. ...
  • Give a testimonial. ...
  • Start a blog. ...
  • List your site in trustworthy directories. ...
  • Write a good guest post.
You Can use This foe link building

Nati

Nati

Established Memeber
Are reciprocal links from websites in you niche good idea for SEO and ranking in general?
  • Replicate competitors’ best backlinks
  • Analyze competitors’ mentions
  • Build backlinks with infographics
  • Build links from outdated resources

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: