By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

Question Starting out as a freelancer - could do with some keyword research advice for my first client

E

Eilrahhc

I have been working as a content writer for some time agency side. I've recently made the decision to move into freelancing (during a global pandemic, great idea) with a focus on SEO content based around keyword research. However, my keyword research abilities are slightly rough as I have usually worked in a team and focused on the content production side.

My first client is a mortgage and financial advisor in the West Midlands. I'm going to be optimising six pages on their website ('Mortage Advice', 'Life Assurance', 'About Us', and a couple of more general pages). I only have an agreement to optimise existing content and moving forward, generating new content in the form of blogs.

Obviously the first step is working out keywords, so I sought a seed list from the client. They provided some very general terms:
  • Mortgage advice (22k)
  • Local mortgage advisor (1k)
  • Do I need life assurance (10)
  • Why should I speak to an advisor (10)
  • How much can I borrow (10k-100k)
I am using Google Keyword Planner for my research (oh to have access to SEMRush again!), and so far have compiled these terms:
mortgage advisor west midlands (10)
independent mortgage advisor (1000)
independent mortgage advice (1000)
mortgages made simple (100)
do i need life assurance (10)
independent life insurance advice (10)
life assurance advisor west midlands (10)
solihull financial advice (10)
solihull financial advisor (10)

Moving forward, the client will be having 2-3 pieces of content a month, and I have compiled the following long-tail keywords.
why do I need life assurance? (10)
do i need life insurance with a mortgage? (1000)
why speak to a financial advisor? (10)
why use an independent financial advisor? (100)
how much can I borrow for my mortgage? (10k-100k)

So my questions really are:
- The client works only in the regional area (West Midlands). How do I optimise their content for local searches when I do not have access to their Google My Business? Is it just a matter of including the area on the page and in the meta?
- How can I use Keyword Planner more effectively to optimise content locally? I have already restricted by location.
- Have any of you worked with similar clients or in similar industries? What worked for you?

I am definitely no SEO expert, but I am looking to improve the knowledge I have so far and, hopefully, really generate some solid keywords to build content from. Any input is massively appreciated!

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: