By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

Why does Facebook send less traffic than twitter?

Dean!

Dean!

Awesome
Why does facebook send less traffic to outside websites than Twitter?

I think Facebook is designed to keep the community contained within Facebook and to send as little traffic outside the site itself as it can.

StevenF50

StevenF50

I think Facebook is a. harder to crawl b. less bots use it

Dean!

Dean!

Awesome
Why is it harder to Crawl? Facebook seems to load faster than Twitter.

StevenF50

StevenF50

It's much more complicated you don't have to just search through a load of profiles, the bot needs to be able to skip past pages/profiles that don't allow public viewing and things.

Dean!

Dean!

Awesome
It's much more complicated you don't have to just search through a load of profiles, the bot needs to be able to skip past pages/profiles that don't allow public viewing and things.
Twitter also has privacy settings that can "lock" the profile to the outside world, pretty much the same as Facebook. :)

lowrider.STi

lowrider.STi

This is not a rule, maybe it's just in your case. For some people, Twitter sends way more traffic than Facebook.

Shortie861

Shortie861

I do sometimes wonder this myself because I have both a Twitter and Facebook page and it's Twitter every time that I get most of my traffic from. Both work just about the same way you have retweet on Twitter and share on Facebook so I don't think that affects it to be honest. I personally sometimes thing it may have something to do with the way they have things set out on Facebook. Not everyone see's a post from a page nowadays since they made changes. I myself have over 60 followers on Facebook and sometimes only 12 of them see my posts from my wall.

N

NeoGills

Well you don't have enough friends who give you many likes or may be you didn't posted your link regularly on FB fan pages.

F

Florentino89

Some advertisers may be questioning their investments in paid Facebook ads, but even the brands most unhappy with Facebook's paid advertising offerings are, by and large, continuing to spend big bucks on their Facebook Pages.
Those Facebook Pages may not technically be owned media, but Facebook Pages are free, and brands have more control over them than anything else on Facebook, so they're often treated like owned media. But while Facebook Pages are free, acquiring fans isn't and increasingly, brands are looking closely at acquisition costs. So it's probably not good news then that two of the largest search engines -- Google and Bing -- are reportedly driving less 'free' traffic to Facebook Pages.

E

edwardkingston

Well Facebook is not supposed to spread your business while Twitter is use to follow others business :p

N

neoflip

I think Facebook have more fake accounts as compare to Twitter :p
or may be it's privacy don't allow it, i guess.

memento_mori

memento_mori

Its much easier to build on audience on Twitter. On Facebook, people tend to be overly careful when its about adding new people or Liking new pages. On Twitter, the users tend to follow most accounts that interests them.

Jessi

Jessi

Are you talking about it sending less to your site specifically? Or does it send out less in general?

Personally, I can get just as much traffic from FB, sometimes more, than I do on Twitter. I think people use it in different ways, though.

BigBigFan

BigBigFan

In both cases it depends on your following.

If you bought most of those 1000 followers, on either network, you're not going to get much traffic from posting anything. Even if they are real people they are paid to follow you and probably aren't even interested in your site.

Tara

Tara

I do get more traffic from Twitter than Facebook. But I don't really target Facebook. Twitter and LinkedIn provide most of my traffic.

vida_llevares

vida_llevares

Why does facebook send less traffic to outside websites than Twitter?

I think Facebook is designed to keep the community contained within Facebook and to send as little traffic outside the site itself as it can.

This is a very valid insight. I haven't thought of this before but it definitely makes sense. I could say that the Facebook community is very active internally. But, yes, very little involvement with outside community.

carlalexander

carlalexander

For starters I think that there are more people who Tweet than Facebook simply because, from my opinion, it is easier to tweet than Facebook. :) I stand corrected though.

Nymph

Nymph

It could merely be that with Twitter, your tweet ad is integrated right into what your followers see on their profiles; that is, a short and sweet message with a link to your site or some other call to action. It's directly in front of them and more tempting to click than on Facebook where a million different things could be going on at once to divide their attention.

T

thebrad

I think because facebook is less like interactive let me say with twitter you can say join (hashtag) then link the page allowing more people to recognize the site there advertising.

Yorozuya

Yorozuya

I think the answer for your question lies with the behavior of the facebook community. Many users there use facebook as they'd use twitter. What I mean is, they post every single event in their lives as an invidual post, filling up other people's walls with useless things... And because of this, users began to hide notifications from most of their facebook friends, dealing a huge blow to the flow of information. And twitter also has tags, which make it a lot more easier to present relevant content to people.

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: