By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

3 Tips on Traffic Generation

ViperDove

ViperDove

I have the following important tips about traffic generation. You're free to add to the list.
1. Choose the right niche and keywords
The foundation of your site should start with selecting a profitable niche you can compete in, followed by a list of keywords you’ll be targeting. Once you get this right, your chances of succeeding will increase dramatically.
2. OnPage optimization
While writing articles for your site, you need to optimize them for both users and search engines. Don’t concentrate on one and ignore the other.
3. Offpage Optimization
This mainly has to do with getting backlinks from other sites. You can get backlinks by writing and publishing articles on blogs (guest posting), web 2.0 sites like Hubpages, Squidoo, Xomba etc. You can also get them from forums and by commenting on other blogs. If you search Google for how to get backlinks you’ll see a lot of helpful tutorials.

vida_llevares

vida_llevares

Very helpful tips. Aside from choosing a profitable niche, I think you should also choose a niche you can still compete in. Other niches are highly saturated already.

S

Spintax

OP, your advice is great for SEO and helping to move your page up the SERPs (which will eventually bring in some traffic...umm.. hopefully), but people looking to get immediate traffic are going to have to go about things much differently.

If you want traffic, put your website or link in front of already existing (or soon to be explosive) traffic. Work your butt off, or pay for it -- it doesn't matter. Let's say you have a new tech blog that is kinda lonely. You hear that XYZ company is going to have a press conference and it's creating some serious buzz. What you do is write a decent article (doesn't have to be great, just good enough) -- discuss something helpful, something controversial, something that readers will find interesting. Stick some monetization on the page. Now go create enough backlinks to get your article indexed.

What you're going to do now is google about that press conference and the product that they'll be discussing. Go to the top 10 sites for each of those searches, and place a comment (using your link of course). Make it interesting enough (not spammy) that people will follow your link back to your site.

The day before the ipad mini came out, I know people who were able to get 2k+ visitors by doing this. On the day of the release, they repeated these efforts and pulled 5k+ visitors. Not bad for only placing approx 100 links. Were their own articles ranked? Heck no. But they got visitors because they were leeching the top tens' visitors. (**Apple product junkies are no joke -- they are click-happy and follow that company religiously, reading everything they can get their hands on)

Learn how to use google trends and combine it with google alerts. If you really want to get fancy, then learn how to iFrame and send that traffic to somebody else's article which is embedded on your site and monetized with a popup. It works.

Viktori

Viktori

Great tips, guys thanks! I'm a beginner and still learning about SEO, so I definitely have some catching up to do. I've heard some of these terms before, but was not completely sure about what they meant since it does tend to get overwhelming to read so much about one topic that the terms tend to get confusing. At least I know a good place to start and which terms to search for and learn more about. Also, I agree with Spintax, that sounds like a very effective way of getting your site checked out seeing as being one of the first few to write about a soon to be popular topic would surely pay off even if just a little, at the very least.

Nymph

Nymph

It's funny how I see the same tips everywhere and come to find that some people still neglect them, whether out of laziness or lack of planning or not wanting to do much work. The first two tips are nice and relatively easy to implement, but it's the third tip, off-page optimization, that I find the most crucial to success. You shouldn't neglect offline "backlinks" either, whether it's in the local newspaper, posters, or anything of the sort. It works well if you have something to promote. Also, we shouldn't forget about PPC traffic through a program like Facebook Ads or Adsense, although it is really for when you have products to promote or something to sell.

ViperDove

ViperDove

It's funny how I see the same tips everywhere and come to find that some people still neglect them, whether out of laziness or lack of planning or not wanting to do much work. The first two tips are nice and relatively easy to implement, but it's the third tip, off-page optimization, that I find the most crucial to success. You shouldn't neglect offline "backlinks" either, whether it's in the local newspaper, posters, or anything of the sort. It works well if you have something to promote. Also, we shouldn't forget about PPC traffic through a program like Facebook Ads or Adsense, although it is really for when you have products to promote or something to sell.

You're right, people often neglect some of these tips because they can be very time consuming. When I was busy with my academic work, I neglected a lot of them.

Yorozuya

Yorozuya

Don't forget to use social media :) Sites like facebook, twitter, pinterest, instagram, youtube, etc. can bring you some serious traffic if you know how to use them. When I'm making a serious website I always make social media profiles for it beforehand because they also need banners, titles, etc. and trust me, you don't want to do all that in the last minute when everything is ready to go. Be sure to update your profiles regularly, its basically free traffic and it also helps your rankings.

Viktori

Viktori

You're right, people often neglect some of these tips because they can be very time consuming. When I was busy with my academic work, I neglected a lot of them.

Agreed. Also I think it's because there are too many other tutorials floating around, and speaking from the perspective of a beginner, it's so easy to get them all mixed up and eventually the priority list gets confusing. That's why I find it so helpful to participate in forums like these where I can get personal responses and simplified tutorials. :)

bugara1

bugara1

Thanks for the basic tips. These should be very helpful to begginers.

carlalexander

carlalexander

I believe choosing the right niche and keywords is very important as you will not get into niches that are too competitive for you.Some niches are "held" by large organizations that are willing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in advertisement together with a group of hired SEO experts. You may be very lucky to even shoe up on the 4th page of Google search. LOL. So the first thing that you should do is to identify a good niche then you can get on with off page and on page SEO.

carlalexander

carlalexander

Don't forget to use social media :) Sites like facebook, twitter, pinterest, instagram, youtube, etc. can bring you some serious traffic if you know how to use them. When I'm making a serious website I always make social media profiles for it beforehand because they also need banners, titles, etc. and trust me, you don't want to do all that in the last minute when everything is ready to go. Be sure to update your profiles regularly, its basically free traffic and it also helps your rankings.
Social media marketing can be a very good source of traffic, and most sites/ products that have gone viral thanks to the presence of Twitter, Facebook and the rest. So don't underestimate the power of social media marketing for your SEO campaigns.

carlalexander

carlalexander

Great tips, guys thanks! I'm a beginner and still learning about SEO, so I definitely have some catching up to do. I've heard some of these terms before, but was not completely sure about what they meant since it does tend to get overwhelming to read so much about one topic that the terms tend to get confusing. At least I know a good place to start and which terms to search for and learn more about. Also, I agree with Spintax, that sounds like a very effective way of getting your site checked out seeing as being one of the first few to write about a soon to be popular topic would surely pay off even if just a little, at the very least.
SEO is not as complicated as you would want to believe. A few "gurus" here and there on YouTube may want to make you believe that SEO is such a complicated subject but matter of fact, they may be just doing that so that you either hire them to optimize your site for SEO (which I agree some do a great job at it) but most of the time all you need to do is just to follow these simple steps that have been given to you here and you shall be OK. Matter of fact, as far as I am concerned, no Google algorithm update has ever punished anyone who has done and is doing the simple things that you have been told to follow here. :)

strata12123

strata12123

Very good tips!
It should really help those who are just starting out in the field of SEO.

Rube

Rube

All good tips but I particularly like the second one, about page optimization. Each page should be written with users (readers) in mind, and of course it needs SEO in order to get indexed by the search engines. Never forget the importance of both. Neglect SEO and you won't get much traffic, but it is important to provide content that has value for readers. Content is not going to get recommended, linked back to or shared if it does not provide readers with valuable information or a unique insight.

L

Lena Christine

Great tips! The search for the right niche and keywords has always proven to be the most difficult part of SEO for me. Just when you think you are on to something, your research will show that the top search engine spots are dominated by big name sites that you stand no chance of ever outranking. It can be disheartening at times.

I've definitely learned along the way that you should avoid most generalized keywords and instead narrow it down to more specific phrases that fall under the general category you are looking at. It is a rare occasion to discover a very general phrase that is not already overcrowded or completely dominated by bigger competition.

I also agree with Rube about the importance of quality content. Optimization is important for drawing traffic but if the information you are providing isn't very good, those visitors are going to bounce quickly and never return. It is important to balance SEO with quality and usefulness so that you earn return visitors to your site.

ozadin

ozadin

I honestly think that people shouldn't research a niche that much, and spend a day or two on it. Sure, you're going to try and rank up there if the competition is low, and the keywords is searched pretty frequently, but I would suggest something you're knowledgeable in. Knowledge is the most important when it comes to your website, you need to write about something you know. If you research a niche that has tons of searches and low competition, which is VERY hard to achieve, you will have to spend a lot more time researching that niche compared to actually knowing it.

cefmac

cefmac

Those are some really helpful tips for someone who's just getting started with SEO. I found number 2 particularly interesting, as usually when I write a post for my blog, I concentrate on my own feelings and how readers will respond, rather than what terms will bring in the most traffic. I'll think about that next time I update!

thevirtualtraveler

thevirtualtraveler

I would also say that when you do choose a niche you should choose something you are passionate about. This way you can better promote your site because you are exited about what you do and you can easily get more traffic to your site.

S

semaphore.v

Keyword play a important role for your site to get traffic so choose right keywords.

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: