By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

Do you consider Youtube as a social networking site?

wasi90lk

wasi90lk

Youtube is primarily a video sharing site. But over the years, it has turned into a social networking site like Facebook.

Do you think Youtube is a social networking site?

Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Somehow it is but I don't think of it as a social media site in the first place because the main thing about Youtube is their video collection and not the people.

Tribie

Tribie

Unlike most people in this post, YouTube for me is only a video sharing site. Yes we can subscribe, like and comment but we can't post status messages, play games with our friends, post and share pictures, documents or any other files on YouTube. Aside from this, YouTube is also "prohibitive" in nature because unless you have some videos in your channel, there would really be no way to "get in touch" with your friends. It is much less "social" in nature than actual social networking site.

F

fancy

As it is said no reason for fighting a losing battle. All the comments above revolve around the fact that YouTube has a platform that counterparts the one used in other social networks. YouTube contributes a lot in being a social network as it is through here where people post fun and interesting videos or video blogs that people can click and watch. As other social networks, YouTube also bring people together to share ideas, talk, share interests and make more friends through the act of commenting on the posted videos. Therefore, I personally agree that YouTube is a social network though its concept and platform is not as comprehensive as other networks.

DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReilly

Yes, I think it is, you post your video's on it and everyone talks about them, likes them and posts them elsewhere. I find it's not that much different to most social networking sites because people chat below your video about it. Okay they don't discuss day to day things on it but people are still chatting about what they are doing, so to me yes it is a social networking site.

DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReilly

Yes of course YouTube is a social media site. I use it to promote my sites with video scribes. YouTube is a great way of gaining more traffic to your sites and business. It's also a great way to chat to people about videos etc.

CeliVega

CeliVega

Has it really become a social networking site without people realizing it? I still don't think of it as a place to "socialize" though. It's a great place to view bizarre and interesting videos, but I don't see it as a suitable ground for meeting new people. Come to think of it, it might increase the socializing part on Youtube if they encourage live-commenting from the users. (You know, how they flood the screen with their comments, things like that)

Jessi

Jessi

Yes, I sure do. While many people may simply use it to watch videos on, it's definitely used as a social network as well. It's kind of like how Facebook could just be a place to collect photos and send out links to those photos....a person doesn't actually have to be social on it, but it's still a social network overall.

G

gadgetised

I don't really. In case anybody hasn't noticed, the majority of Youtube comments come from trolls. Youtube is great for sharing videos socially, but I would not call it a stand alone social network. It would be nothing without the social sharing features of Twitter, Facebook, Google etc. The only social feature about Youtube is the comments, and the fact that videos/playlists can be shared. Social, yes, but not in the same way as Twitter or Facebook.

Latest posts

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: