By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

Ever had any run ins with google?

Jimmy

Jimmy

SEOTalk Guru
Have you ever had any problems with google on your site? E.g have you ever been blacklisted?

I'm proud to say I've never had any trouble with google :)

StevenF50

StevenF50

I never have however I probably should have after some greyish hat methods.

Shortie861

Shortie861

So far so good for me :) never had any problems that I know of with google myself, the only time I did have a problem it didn't involve me being blacklisted but it was to do with Adsense. I had an Adsense account that I was using and my email address changed so I contacted them about changing my email address for my Adsense account and they sent me a link to a page to change it however the link worked but all the information to do it wasn't there and despite me contacting them and informing them they never really helped me at all so I gave up.

lowrider.STi

lowrider.STi

No...everything was ok. That's because I respect the googls TOS and avoid blackhat.

SeanFace101

SeanFace101

Not as far as i know concerning my website & its ranking in the search engine, but i have had my google adsense account closed for a reason unknown to me. I would be quite gutted if i got penilized by google and i lost any of my search positions for that.

I

isuit21

My websites only contain White Hat content and I doubt that they will get blacklisted for some reason. I am not quite sure which type of websites Google sets on the blacklist though and for how long.

S

Shole

NEver blacklisted but banned from google adsense and that's a problem for me as i earned like 50$ then :S

BigBigFan

BigBigFan

I was hoping to read some epic battles between scorned publishers and Google, I'm sure they exist! As for me I've never been penalized, that I know of, and am not worried about it since I do nothing remotely worthy of being questionable. Boring is safe, unfortunately.

Samurai

Samurai

I was hit pretty bad by Penguin. In fact, after my sites were hit by Penguin, I stopped working on them because it was close to impossible to regain rankings (my traffic dropped to a few visits daily). Later I was hit by the EMD update (exact match domains), and another of my sites was hit by another Penguin update (50% drop in traffic, lost all rankings in top10). After all these problems with Google I decided to return to white hat methods.

BigBigFan

BigBigFan

Samurai, you had to know they'd eventually figure out your blackhat methods right? Some of the smartest people on the planet work for Google. I remembered one funny incident I had with Google, they blocked my being able to rank for my main keyword and so all of my search listings had that word removed from titles. It looked pretty funny, this was years ago though.

Samurai

Samurai

I haven't been using "very" black hat methods. I was just creating high-quality blogs and writing articles for sites like Squidoo that were linking to my main site, and then building hundreds of low-quality links to these sites. It wasn't anything really black hat like spamming forums or comment blogs. I guess I used the same anchor too many times...

BigBigFan

BigBigFan

Hah, that sucks Samurai. At least you can turn around and point some of the spammy links at your competitor and let Google figure it out.

Just kidding, I don't recommend that because one way or another Google wants to give you a hard time if you own a lot of sites.

Tara

Tara

No, I haven't had any run ins with Google. I try my best to play by the rules. I do mostly white hat SEO. Sometimes, I stray into the gray hat area, but I really try to keep my hands clean.

BigBigFan

BigBigFan

Has it paid off Tara? Can you remember even one single time in which you did something whitehat and noticed your traffic jump dramatically? people who prefer blackhat find ways to make their traffic spike all the time, though it's usually short lived.

Isn't it frustrating to keep adding content only to see your visitor numbers stay at the same level anyway? Check analytics, you've been busy all month but did your total traffic increase? For most it doesn't.

deansaliba

deansaliba

I too have been a good boy for Google. Although this has reminded me of the time when John Chow was kicked off the search engine for selling loads of paid links and his "diabolical" link scheme. He then went on to prove that you don't need Google to be successful and did very well for three years until they let him back in.

BigBigFan

BigBigFan

John puts on a good show but he's also a savy webmaster. He implemented the nofollow meta tag on his review pages so that his site will still rank for those reviews but will not pass any rank off the pages. The buyers see a dofollow link but forget to check for a nofollow page :)

Tara

Tara

Has it paid off Tara? Can you remember even one single time in which you did something whitehat and noticed your traffic jump dramatically? people who prefer blackhat find ways to make their traffic spike all the time, though it's usually short lived.

Isn't it frustrating to keep adding content only to see your visitor numbers stay at the same level anyway? Check analytics, you've been busy all month but did your total traffic increase? For most it doesn't.

Yes, it really does, but my current focus is local. I do create a ton of content across a variety of platforms.

Playing the Blackhat game means you'll always be looking over your shoulder. Your sites can tank overnight. Google is aggressively pursuing blackhat marketers. I don't doubt that employees of Google join blackhat forums and use blackhat services to deconstruct what they do. No thanks. I'll still with whitehat.

Jessi

Jessi

No, I haven't.

I did, briefly, back almost 10 years ago when I was first starting out, use a different name and buy a program that turned out to be blackhit. Google banned me from Adsense within 24 hours and I demanded my money back from the company. I've never done anything like that again.

Tara

Tara

No, I haven't.

I did, briefly, back almost 10 years ago when I was first starting out, use a different name and buy a program that turned out to be blackhit. Google banned me from Adsense within 24 hours and I demanded my money back from the company. I've never done anything like that again.

I'm very curious. What type of program was it? I hope you got your money back.

Jessi

Jessi

I'm very curious. What type of program was it? I hope you got your money back.

I don't even remember much about it now. More or less it was to set up an affiliate page for some workout program, if I can recall correctly. The material itself seemed fine at the time. I just didn't know that that sort of thing wasn't allowed with Adsense.....the same thing that all of the program's claims to money were based on. Without Adsense, there was no money, so to get banned immediately? Not good.

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: