By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

Local vs Regional SEO

Is Local SEO and Regional SEO same?

• Total voters
Jennifer Neon

Jennifer Neon

Established Memeber
Hello, respected members of the forum.
While working on another forum I came across a question that "What is the difference between Local and Regional SEO?" According to my opinion, both are somewhat the same. Even if they are different than the difference is very insignificant.
What do you thing please throw in your opinions.
Thank You :)

Also, pull up your votes on this topic.

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
Established Memeber
For the majority of the businesses in the UK, Local coverage would be expected within the closest towns their business is located, plus possibly 2 / 3 of their local counties/regions. We naturally target county based phrases as apart of our local campaigns because it provides relevance and diversity to more niche targets which may be more competative. Regional however, it's going to be a super low search volume for people searching for things such as "Web designer east of england". Its much more likely to be "web design suffolk" ( county based ) or "web design TOWN NAME".

So for me it would also be considered the same, or at least its included in the same Local SEO campaign, we wouldnt try and sell a client "hyper local SEO" and "regional SEO" as two seperate entities. Not like you would "local" and "National" as the processes and needs differ.

onebasemedia

onebasemedia

Established Memeber
I love using location-based modifiers because for service-based companies (or companies with service-based offerings) it makes sense to connect with those people looking for location-based services. I generally tell clients to keep it simple, WHAT I DO, WHERE I DO IT.

One of the services we provide for clients is web design services in Uk, Essex. That service is not physically constricted, so we work with clients all over the country. However, since many businesses prefer to work with local web services providers it would be crazy in my opinion not to start there when targeting natural Google search rankings.

• Local SEO targets potential customers looking for services in your immediate area (usually a small city or town).
  • Regional SEO focuses more on the larger city you might be in or near (like ‘London’.)

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
Established Memeber
  • Local SEO targets potential customers looking for services in your immediate area (usually a small city or town).
  • Regional SEO focuses more on the larger city you might be in or near (like ‘London’.)

Regional certainly isnt City based areas, London would be considered Local, suburbs of London or smaller areas of London would still fall under "local", but could be described as hyper local in a City enviroment in my opinion.

Slightly different here in Norfolk where a town is a town which generally consists of a 10 - 20 mile radius of the town center as typically towns are a fair distance apart.

Then you have Counties, I.e Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex.

Then you have Regions , which essentially are County + surrounding Counties. Such as "East of England" , " East Midlands" See the Region map here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_of_England

Effectively you have 3 possible areas of reach, Hyper local for large Citys, such as suburbs of London targetting , Local for Towns/Villages and surrounding area, County based again broarder reach of Local, then Regional for multi County reach before you reach National services.

I think it heavily depends on the business in question as to what an SEO provider should consider "local"

Jennifer Neon

Jennifer Neon

Established Memeber
Well, thank you @onebasemedia and @Community for providing your inputs in the forum really it was helpful.
I also reach the conclusion that Regional and Local SEO is same but if one has just started his o her business or new to the digital market it would be better to focus or a small radius or immediate area as said by @onebasemedia nut if somebody is already doing then one can go and increase the boundaries for promoting the business.

I would thank you again, please provide your opinions in the poll created just above the question it would be really grateful.

Thank you :)

NoahOwen

NoahOwen

Regional SEO helps you rank all over the world and local seo only ranks you in local areas. It takes lot more research to do it all.

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
Established Memeber
Regional SEO helps you rank all over the world and local seo only ranks you in local areas. It takes lot more research to do it all.

Regional is a region of a country, it's not anything todo with international SEO....or national for that matter.

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: