By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

Question Quick tips?

GFY

GFY

Hi my website is only a few weeks old so gets pretty much 0 traffic, ive been reading about seo for a few days and apart from putting meta tags and whatnot most of the emphasis is on backlinks.

this isnt likely to happen to me just because of the content of my site, the only way that would change is if i mooched around relevant forums posting links but i dont really want to do that type of stuff.

if i have decent content is it just a matter of time before i steadily get more traffic or do absolutely have to make sure im pushing the pagerank up?

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
Established Memeber
Welcome to the forum,

A few weeks is still very young, like most things in life nothing comes easy especially when traffic is concerned. It will take time, whether that be through exceptional content, social sharing etc there is more than one way to generate traffic.

Backlinks are still hugely important, its equally as important to make sure your "on-site" optimisation is up to standard. I would highly recommend using a tool such as SEMrush to audit your site and give you suggestions.

You can sign up for free, add your site as a "project" and run audits and various other functions to help you make sure that your website is setup correctly with the best possibly chances of it ranking natural for the content.

Other things to consider is ensuring you have signed up to Search console, submitting your sitemap via search console and requesting indexing via "fetch with google bot".

If relevant have a good read up on micro and schema data, make sure your website is using https and has the relevant redirects, make sure its mobile friendly giving it the best possible chances of being found.

Backlinks

While I understand your frustration surrounding building backlinks, you are already thinking about it in the wrong way. Forum posting for links will likely end up giving your brand a poor reputation and will offer very little value in terms of quality of link or relevance.

If you are writing good content and have the time to do so, why not also offer to write for other blogs that are related to your niche, some blogs/sites will allow an author bio you can then have a link back to your site and thus creating a backlink which is relevant and also giving you brand exposure....Win Win?

There are many many ways to build links, it does take effort, it does take time, there is no quick fix that will be sustainable.

Have a good read of these guides too, this will help you get an understanding of the basics and some ideas of what other people are doing and how they do it :

https://backlinko.com/on-page-seo
https://backlinko.com/search-engine-ranking

Content

if i have decent content is it just a matter of time before i steadily get more traffic or do absolutely have to make sure im pushing the pagerank up?

Quality content without backlinks in theory can still gain traffic and exposure, good internal linking, On-page SEO, exceptional content written on a regular basis can soon get attention from other sources of traffic. If you are limited in ability or time to work on external SEO factors, then yes focus that time on creating a great resource, great content and share it where possible.

Don't get disillusioned with time scales though, look at months and years rather than weeks. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Good luck. :)

GFY

GFY

Hi thanks for the advice.

I will have a look at semrush but I have already signed up for search console, google analytics, bing webmaster tools and ive signed up for an ad network.

i wasnt expecting to get 10000 views a day within a couple of months I was just worried that without many backlinks in 12 months time i might still be getting only 50 views or less.

again with the backlinks thing its not really a done thing to have other people posting on your site in "my industry" its more likely that other people will recommend/post links to my site around the internet or on those similar sites. I think for now i should concentrate on finishing all the content and website then make sure my site SEO is as good as possible and see how far i get with that

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
Established Memeber
It's hard to say beyond the basic advice without knowing the industry / site / content in question.

Obviously you know the limits of your niche, to me if people are not doing it in your industry............its the perfect opportunity to think outside of the box and capitalise on it.

If you are posting great content on a regular basis, then after say 2 or 3 months you should have a good idea of how things are progressing.

SEMrush's site audit will give you some good pointers as to any technical issues there could be on the site.

M

mycheaperenergy

The next crucial thing to do after working on your site's on-page issues is to do competitor analysis. Find the competitors and check their keywords, this will help you to frame your SEO strategy.

Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky

Established Memeber
You need something beyond “decent content” I think it’s incredibly useful to post innovative or controversial content. I think you get more back links as more people may want to argue than just say “look at this it’s good”

Probably depends on your niche though

J

jit90

Hi my website is only a few weeks old so gets pretty much 0 traffic, ive been reading about seo for a few days and apart from putting meta tags and whatnot most of the emphasis is on backlinks.

this isnt likely to happen to me just because of the content of my site, the only way that would change is if i mooched around relevant forums posting links but i dont really want to do that type of stuff.

You think forum posting links are not good. Anyways, if you provide helpful tips and help somebody in forum then you can provide your link if necessary. Noone will see you as a spammer and that link will give you traffic.

RjMaan

RjMaan

Well, that's absolutely right. New site does need some extra care and attention to rank high in Google and to have more and more traffic.

jacobdeen

jacobdeen

Good luck and hope your SEO strategy has picked up. As the community admin has said Backlinks are what you're going to need to start pushing up. Try find some trusted sites to get your website listed on. If you're a trade try get some reviews.

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: