By using seoforum’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the best UK dedicated SEO Forum

Provide or get advice on everything SEO, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love SEO and Online Marketing.

Join 50,000 members!

Question How do you promote your blog/site for free?

S

Spintax

Who is already getting huge traffic in your niche? Do they offer guest posts enabling you to link back to your site? Which articles on their sites are getting the most visitors? Do you have an insightful comment linking back to you site on those articles? Have you done this with the most popular traffic getting social media sites as well? There are many ways to get quick targeted traffic. They all include using sources that already have (or are about to get) large traffic.

SEO = serp movement. Traffic generation requires traffic techniques. You've got to do work with two different hats on if you want the benefits of both.

V

vash

I have used both free and paid methods to promote my web site/forum. Amongst the free methods, I have tried Yahoo Answers, blog posting, forum posting. I have also sent the links of every one of my articles as well as popular forum threads to various social bookmark sites such as Stumpleupon, Delicious, etc.

I have to say that it takes hard work to get a new web forum off the ground. So I have also used Facebook ads (paid) to promote my forum.

R.E. Danielson

R.E. Danielson

I recently came across a site called mindbump. The idea is to submit a writing prompt along with your blog link. The site randomly displays a writing prompt from one of the participating blogs, along with a back link. Bloggers who use the prompt are encouraged to link back to your blog in their post. I love the idea of this site, both as a writing tool, as well as a form of promotion.
Also, has anyone ever tried offline promotions? I could see how some local blogs could benefit by trading a post that covers an event for some free advertising. Just a thought.

T

thebrad

If your up for spending tons of time on your forum, postloop is the one it allows you to post on peoples forums earning posts then they post on yours great way to show activity.

M

mkcookin

There are several methods you can use when promoting your site. Some are...

- Forums
- Blog commenting
- Guest posting
- Writing articles
- SEO
- Creating newsletters
- Social Bookmarking
- Blogging
- Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest)

The trick is to pick 2 methods you believe you would enjoy doing then stick to only those methods. Once you see results move to to 2 new methods.

After you have tried every method discard the ones that are not producing results - and focus on the ones that are.

S

SwagBear

Main thing I do is advertise on forums and let me friends and family know about it. Other than that, I don't do much and it works perfectly fine for me!

ozadin

ozadin

My two main sources of traffic running to my blog at the moment is forum posting and article submission. I have recently joined a new batch of forums, and trying to advertise my free domain now since I'm working on another website in hopes of getting traffic to that website. I have cut down on article submitting because I'm under too much stress at the moment and have too much to do. So far, I'm working on articles, forum posting, and managing two sites so it has been pretty hard so far.

H

hogwarts

Another way to market your blog for free is to post backlinks to Bubblews and Redgage. Plus, of course, there are social networks like Stumbleupon, Twitter, Facebook, and many more, as many before me have said. Good luck!

RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMama

I promote my writing and blogs by looking up trending keywords on Google, and adding them to my blog posts and/or articles. I'll also add my friends and family to a subscription list if they request, so that the article or entry generates traffic right after it is posted. I see a lot of people sharing their blogs and writing(s) on Facebook pages concerning the topic, so that would be a great way to get some leads as well.

fltdude

fltdude

The easiest and most common way to promote your site/blog is YouTube by making videos about your site and puting the link in the description. Of course social media such as facebook, twitter, tumblr, reddit will also help. Another important think is to figure out how Google SEO (search engine optimization) works and try to get a better ranking for your site. The better ranking, the more hits you will recieve through Google.

CodeMaster

CodeMaster

Community Team
I use promotion site mainly like FP owned by the awesome Nerdie they have a wide range of services for you to get your site popular and to get traffic roll'in in.

leandros21

leandros21

Forum/Blog signatures to get direct traffic and blinks to high PR sites.

alpac

alpac

There are several methods you can use when promoting your site. Some are...

- Forums
- Blog commenting
- Guest posting
- Writing articles
- SEO
- Creating newsletters
- Social Bookmarking
- Blogging
- Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest)

The trick is to pick 2 methods you believe you would enjoy doing then stick to only those methods. Once you see results move to to 2 new methods.

After you have tried every method discard the ones that are not producing results - and focus on the ones that are.

This is by far the most sensible suggestion I have come across in my search for the proper method of promoting my blog. The common mistake made by most people including me is to promote their sites to as many platforms as they can because Google likes the diversity of backlinks. But I like the idea of sticking to two methods at a time. This is a good way of mastering building backlinks. One cannot learn anything if all the methods mentioned are taken all at once.

F

fancy

As many here I have used social networks to promote my websites and articles ever since I entered into internet marketing business. I mostly post my articles, posts, links and comments on my Facebook page or twitter on a regular basis to ensure my fans stay updated. I also advice some of my inner fans to share, comment or link such sites to help increase the chain. Through this way I have been increasing more and more friends every time I make new contribution to my sites.

M

mkcookin

This is by far the most sensible suggestion I have come across in my search for the proper method of promoting my blog. The common mistake made by most people including me is to promote their sites to as many platforms as they can because Google likes the diversity of backlinks. But I like the idea of sticking to two methods at a time. This is a good way of mastering building backlinks. One cannot learn anything if all the methods mentioned are taken all at once.

I am glad you found my thread useful :)

What people fail to realize when it comes to traffic, you only need to master a few free methods and 1 paid method to get all the traffic you would ever need to your website.

So why not pick a couple you would really enjoy doing and master them, and them master one paid strategy and start driving thousands of visitors to your site. :)

terryse

terryse

To drive traffic and promote my blogs, i write articles and submit them to article directories. I usually submit one article every two days both to Ezine Article and Article Marketer, both popular and free article directories. In addition, i submit my RSS feeds to RSS Aggregators (Feedage, Feedagg, Feedyes, etc.)

shellyann36

shellyann36

When promoting I use social media, twitter, g+ and facebook. I also belong to a few blogging forums and I join several blog hops.

T

tjtrellmom

I have used Twitter, Facebook, Google + and other social medias. I have also used craigslist along with other free classified ads. When I advertise my site, I look for the free ways, although they say paid advertising is the best way to get the most traffic.

Jodiann12

Jodiann12

I love free advertising and have never paid for advertising in the eight years that I've worked online.

I like to post on Google + as a way to advertise my blog(s) but it also helps me hone my writing skills. In addition, I write articles for free distribution and the backlink included in the signature line helps advertise my blogs. Also, I use forum signature links when appropriate (assuming it's the same niche as my blog) to discreetly advertise my site(s). Sometimes, I find free directories that let me list my blogs. Guest posting on other blogs (with a signature line) is also a great free way to advertise a blog.

All these free methods help my SEO efforts and actually get real traffic.

There are many other free ways to advertise and promote a blog or site. Please share your free promotion technique.

Beverly, I used most of the methods that you described in your post, except that I admittedly have not been taking advantage of my Google Plus account in that regard. Additionally, I use auto post my blog posts through sites such as twitterfeed, dlvr.it, and, occasionally, IFFT (which is If This Then That).

Jodiann12

Jodiann12

There are so many ways to advertise your site for free that I can't possibly list all of them here. Here are just a couple techniques that I find the most effective:
  • Long tail keywords - write articles optimized for long tail keywords. It's very easy to rank for these keywords in top10, and while you only get a couple of visitors from each keywords, they quickly add up.
  • Free reports - write a good and detailed report and offer it for free. People love freebies.
  • Epic content - write extremely lengthy and useful articles that people want to share on Facebook or Twitter. One viral article can make your site go from 10 visitors a day to 1000 visitors a day.
  • Guest posts - write guest posts for popular blogs and sites. Publishing a guest post on a site that has 10 000 subscribers can tremendously increase your traffic.
  • Build a network - get to know other people in your niche. Work closely with them - promote their tweets, products, exchange links, etc.

Thank you so much Samurai for these additional tips. I was thinking of the blogs that I could guest post for as soon as I have the time to do so. I have to work on my ability to write SEO articles. I have been attempting to connect with some people in my niche through Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, and Twitter, so at least I'm on track with that. I often write very lengthy and useful posts, so I'm okay there too.

Latest Products

• [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    [Rivmedia] Lazy Loader XF2
    Load images asynchronously on your forum, allowing images to be loaded only when they are in view
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    [Rivmedia] Guest Redirect & Profile unlink
    Forums which prevent member profile access for guests, redirction and unlinking for profiles
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    [Rivmedia] Simple Redirects
    Simple redirects allows forum admins to make simple 301 or 302 redirects via their admin panel
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated:
  • [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    [Rivmedia] Minimum Message Length
    Eradicate short, pointless posts with a minimum message length and improving content worth on a thre
    • Rivmedia
    • Updated: